LEAN START® 2 Complete is a complete starter diet for pigs 20 to 26 days of age. LEAN START 2 is designed for the production system that faces health constraints and production risks. Feeding LEAN START 2 at this age will help pigs get off to a faster start that will continue to market weight.
LEAN START 2 is the first starter that weaned pigs should receive. It’s highly complex, nutrient fortification is designed as a follow up feed to FIRST COURSE® or as the first feed to pigs weaned between 20 and 26 days of age.
High Quality Milk Products:
Improves palatability, increases consumption and reduces digestive upsets. Improves performance due to the highly digestible carbohydrates and amino acids in high quality milk products.
Balance of Select Ingredients:
Key ingredients are uniquely combined in LEAN START 2 to achieve a superior balance of essential amino acids. These high quality protein sources are selected for optimum digestibility and palatability which provides for increased feed consumption.
Balance of Vitamins and Trace Minerals:
Balanced vitamin and mineral fortification is essential for optimizing nutrient utilization, metabolism, disease resistance and pig performance.
Feed palatability is critical to all phases of production, but nowhere is it as important as in the newly weaned pig. Steam rolled oats and milk products along with feed intake enhancers are combined in LEAN START 2 to promote feed intake.
|Crude Protein, min %||20.0|
|Lysine, min %||1.5|
|Crude Fat, min %||6.0|
|Crude Fiber, max %||3.0|
|Calcium (Ca), min %||0.6|
|Calcium (Ca), max %||1.1|
|Phosphorus (P), min %||0.7|
|Salt (NaCl), min %||0.5|
|Salt (NaCl), max %||1.0|
|Selenium, (Se), min||0.3 ppm|
|Zinc (Zn), min||4,000 FYT/lb.|
|Phytase (Trichodema), min||907 FYT/lb.|
*One unit of phytase activity (FYT) is defined as the quantity of enzyme which liberates 1 micromol of inorganic phosphorus per minute.
Environmental factors such as feed pH, moisture, and processing methods such as pelleting or extrusion, may affect enzyme activity.
Hubbard Lean Start Integrated Starter Program
|Pigs Age(Days)||Pig Weight(lbs)||Budget(lbs)||Feed|
|20-26||11-15||3||Lean Start 2|
|26-40||15-25||12-14||Lean Start 3|
As a Creep Feed:
- Feed small amounts of LEAN START 2 Complete several times a day beginning when pigs are 7 days of age. Be sure to replace feed left from previous feeding.
In the Nursery:
- Feed to pigs from 20 to 26 days of age. Age is more important than pig weight, but typical pig weight range would be 11 to 15 pounds.
- Expected consumption is 3.0 to 4.0 pounds of LEAN START 2 Complete per pig, depending on weaning weight, environment and production goals.
- Prevent drafts.
- Continually monitor pigs for any signs of stress.
The chart below provides a benchmark for nursery performance for pigs on Lean Start 2 for the first seven days in the nursery or a 11 to 15 pound pig.
Ave. Daily Gain
Daily Feed Intake, lb
- It is important to get pigs on full feed as quickly as possible to maximize growth rate. In the first 48 hours postweaning, feed every 2 hours (six times per day) or as frequently as possible.
- Provide fresh, clean water at all times. Provide 1 nipple waterer for every 10 pigs positioned at shoulder height.
- Monitor and adjust ventilation—prevent drafts. Factors influencing ventilation decisions include:
- relative humidity
- moisture from condensation
- air speed across animals
- odor and gas concentration
- airborne dust/disease control
- combustion emissions from heaters
- Monitor air quality. As pigs grow larger and become more crowded, air quality is affected.
- Humidity is one of the first signs of poor air quality. Levels between 50% and 60% are ideal.
- Continually monitor pigs for any signs of stress or abnormalities.
- Check feeders for proper adjustment. 50% of the trough bottom should be covered with feed.
- A guideline for feeder space is 3 to 4 inches of feeder space per pig.
- Temperature guideline for the first week in the nursery is 84° set point. Room temperature should be about 82° at the end of day 7.
This product has been formulated specifically for swine and is not intended for other species. Do not feed to cattle or other ruminants.
#50A0—LEAN START® 2 Complete, 50 lb